Saturday, September 28, 2013

Video Viscera: A Love Most Torrid.

Video Viscera is Emerald Miasma's weekly music video spotlight. Anything goes. Let's get freak nasty all up in them corners, Boo.
-
Red 7 - 'Heartbeat'.
 

-
There's not much of a video to this one (as in, there is no video to this one), but goddamn is this song lodged in my brain right now. This is the closing theme to the Michael Mann film 'Manhunter' aka the original 'Red Dragon'. It's the kind of song you'd expect a taut 80's thriller to end on: steamy like a Miami fuck session. Also, Brian Cox plays Hannibal Lec(k)tor in this movie, so that's fun too.
-
Twin Shadow - 'Slow'.
 

-
Few videos make me laugh uncomfortably more than this one. Shot like an early 90's amateur gay edition of 'Dirty Debutantes', the video features George Lewis Jr. aka Twin Shadow talking to a lurid camera dude about cars, shirtless drumming, and what looks like above the chest shots of him jacking off. It reeks of backroom exploitation, and I LOVE IT.
-
Reggie Watts - 'Deconstruction'.


-
Reggie Watts is a fascinating guy. The resident one-man house band of the 'Comedy Bang Bang' TV show is wildly prolific and intensely intriguing to watch. I've had the pleasure of seeing Watts live, and I can't recommend a concert more. His songs are improvised on the spot, and they're better than songs that have taken years to write. This is probably my favorite of Watts' voice-box masterpieces, 'Deconstruction' shows off what Reggie does best. His soulful, beautiful voice echoing earnest stream-of-consciousness silliness over some of the dopest beatboxing this side of Rahzel. The picture-in-picture video just helps further illustrate how talented he is, breaking down how the song is built piece by piece. One of my favorites.
-
Pinkunoizu - 'Moped'.


-
I usually despise cutesy, precious, twee, arts-and-crafts bullshit. Nothing makes my genitals wrench up into my lower intestines faster than cotton ball clouds on a piece of periwinkle construction paper. But I love this video, probably because it represents what happens when your sensitive introvert brother Caleb leaves his dioramas out and his alcoholic, Camaro cruising brother Dave comes in and destroys it all. THEY KICK A WATERMELON LIKE A FOOTBALL! WHAT MORE DO YOU FUCKING WANT?
-
Vitalic - 'Poney Part 1'.


-
DOGS! IN SLOW MOTION! This is a classic I thought I'd throw in on the off-chance someone hadn't seen it. I was listening to this song as I got a speeding ticket coming home from college. Then I got some A&W cheese bites cursed small Western Ohio towns silently in my car.
-
Johnny Boy - 'You are the Generation That Bought More Shoes and You Get What You Deserve'.


-
Despite being an indie one-song wonder, Johnny Boy left a sweeping, dance-y knife to the ribs of consumerism in their wake. I don't know much about the group. I know they're painfully British, they're somehow associated with the LGBT community, and that this song is amazing. I wish they'd release more music, but if this is all I get then so be it.
-
Kallioinia - 'Castle Pop'.


-
Back story: I'm hanging out with my friends Dave and Karen a couple years back, and we're listening to music and videos online. Dave suggested this video by strangely hard to find group Kallioinia. I liked the song, and thought the video was fine, but Dave said, 'Just wait. It's about to get weird'. And weird it got. It got all sorts of green screen weird. Thank you again, Scandinavia.
-
The Impossebulls - 'Bad Business'.


-
My friend T.I.R.A.D.E. was/may still be in this collective of rappers, and it's another example of how lucky I am to have friends in music that are legitimately great at it, because 90% of the time your friend's band is terrible. The Impossebulls are a group of rappers from across the country that were united by Chuck D back in 2000. Thoroughly Old-School, they're just another example of why you need to get off that New-School ish, Son. Also, I highly recommend checking out the Command Pictures YouTube page. It's the video production company of C-Doc, the dude that opens up this track. Watch 'Life's Glory' one time and you will never be the same, yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment